Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas...

Once again Christmas is at our door. Every year during this time of the year I am reminded of an incident which I had experienced many years ago. On Christmas day I went to a village to visit a family with another friend. It was a sunny bright day. The journey wasn’t so pleasant. The muddy village road was good enough to make us half-dead. But, as always, I was happy to visit a village.

To our great surprise we were given a grand welcome by our host. It did not take much time to realize that I had entered into a rich man’s house. We had good food, lovely chat…and all, which make a Christmas day perfect. I found the head of the family was very fun loving person. At one point, during our conversation, he said rather complained that we Christians are unfortunate to have Christmas only for one day. He pointed out to the people belonging to Hindu religion, that they have their main festival, lasting for five days. In a way just to make him happy I did agree with him.

After a very good lunch I came out of the family to make a quick visit to the village. I had entered into a house, not very far away from the house of my host. As I entered the courtyard I found a middle-aged woman sitting in a gloomy face. On seeing me she gave a very artificial smile and requested me to sit. I sat and began to chat with her. I could not resist myself from asking her why she was so sad. Without answering my question she asked, ‘why do we have to celebrate one day as Christmas? Every year Christmas brings sadness for me. My children ask for new dress and good food but I cannot provide them. My husband died four years ago in a road accident and now I am the sole bread-winner of the family. Whatever I earn I spend to buy for food for my children. I cannot effort to buy new dress for them. Can you tell me why I have to see the sad face of my children while my neighbours’ children are enjoying.

I did not have any answer to her question. I had no word to console her. I was not in a position to help her. All I could do is to listen to her life story.

As I was returning to my community, I was thinking the reality of two families. One family had everything abundance and wants more days to celebrate and another family wants to avoid all the celebration.

During my stay both in the poorest countries of the world as well as richest countries I experienced ‘the excessive celebration' of some people and 'utterly zero' celebration of some people. Often I wonder if the rich people share some of their joy with poor people many tears will turn into joy. I also wonder, what the baby Jesus thinks of our celebration.

Yes we must enjoy Christmas. But do we not think of those who want little joy???

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...