Thursday, July 22, 2010

Journeying with St Ignatius

Day 1: St Ignatius and my life

(St Ignatius of Loyola was not a familiar name before I joined the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). But ever since I joined the Jesuits, he has become my ‘FATHER’. The more I read about him or listen to someone about him, he becomes more real to me. I am fascinated by his spirituality, philosophy and idealism of life. I have encountered a number of Jesuits, who have lived out or are living out the life of St Ignatius. As we prepare to celebrate the feast of St Ignatius I thought of penning my personal thoughts on St Ignatius. This is not a scholarly writing or research paper rather it should be treated as my personal reflection.)

St Ignatius: knowing the unknown

Thought quite strange, but it is the fact that I had hardly any knowledge of St Ignatius before I joined the Jesuits. I have never met or heard about the Jesuits till my class 12. Now it is an obvious question to ask, then how did I come to know about the Jesuits? When I look back after many years it appears to me strange. But it all happened. It all took place. All I remember is that I read the biography of St Francis Xavier as a child. The story of St Francis Xavier touched me so much that I wanted to become a missionary. The thought of becoming Jesuit came much later.

During my college days, while I was staying in BCS hostel I met the Jesuits for the first time. Nothing much I remember but all I remember is that I liked them. I wanted to join them. Meanwhile while conversing with a lay missionary (probably her name was Agnes) at the Bethany Ashram the first idea of becoming Jesuit came in my mind. It was this lay missionary who suggested me that I should join the Jesuits. Then it all happened. I met Fr Joe (late), Fr Jerry Gomes and Fr Ignatius Gomes. They invited me to join them after my IA exams and I did so.

During my short stay in Dhaka with the Jesuits I met some wonderful Jesuits. It was they who first introduced St Ignatius to me. During class or even at the dining table they would often say something about St Ignatius. With in a few months I got some idea of what it is to be a Jesuit, which helped me to make a decision to join the Jesuit.

When I entered the Jesuit Novitiate in 2000, St Ignatius was already a known personality to me. How did it happen? Do I know? Probably yes? Probably no? In life we do not know the answer of all the questions….
All i knew and was convinced of that i was journeying with my FATHER St Ingatius!

2 comments:

  1. St. Ignatius changed my life. I read through the Spiritual Exercises and I was changed. He helped me understand my own sin and why we are here. "I came from God, I belong to God, I am destined for God"--this changes everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have the same view. I appreciate your comment. May the spirit of St Ignatius continue to inspire us!

    ReplyDelete

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...