Sunday, March 7, 2010

Life in Ireland

Flipping over my last year’s diary I found the following few paragraphs. Interestingly they were written at the Abudabi airport, while waiting for the connecting flight. As I was thinking to pen my experiences in Ireland, I thought it would be appropriate to reproduce these few paragraphs. These were my genuine feelings, which spontaneously came from the depth of my heart. My days are counted in Ireland. Then I will have to say, ‘once upon a time I was in Ireland…!’ Why not pen something when I am still in Ireland…? The following article is incomplete as I will be adding from time to time…


Everything became standstill for a moment, when I was informed about my coming to Ireland. I have no words to express my feeling. Many questions began to haunt me...what will I do? How will I cope up with the new culture? Will I be able to get used with the food habit...the list is endless! Many of my friends wished me best of luck. Many gave me some advices. I listened to them all. And began my preparation-physically, mentally, spiritually...and the immediate preparation was to apply for visa.

I have been living outside my country for the last ten years. Each time I went to another country, I had to apply for visa. Those who regularly go for visa know complexity involve obtaining visa. Though I did have some problems in the past but this was first time I felt it was TOUGH. First I had to apply for Indian visa as there was no Irish Embassy in Bangladesh. Two days I went to Indian High commission, but could not enter the High commission’s premises. Finally my mother applied for my visa and she got it. Now you might wonder how could she got, and not you! This is a long story. To make the long story short I want to say, 'lady's first' works in Bangladesh. I went to India (Calcutt), applied for my visa. At one moment it was almost uncertain either I would get Irish visa or not...but finally I got.

Sch Rohit and Fr Kajol came to see me off. Many a times I came to the Dhaka Zia International Airport to receive or see off my father or some other people. But this time it was totally a new experience. When I said good bye to my Jesuit friends, my tears were about to fall. As I walked towards the immigration and custom office, a sense of fear and anxiety engulfed me. I had to go different places for the formalities. Sometimes I just followed the crowd. It took a lot of time. Finally it was time to set my feet on a flight. First time in life. I got into the flight and took my seat. As the flight began to fly I looked down....finally I was flying...not many days ago I had a dream of flying one day. Finally I made it.... It was long 29 hours of journey! Of course not all the time flying. I had to wait Abudabi 16 hours to get the connecting flight. My 16 hours at the Abudabi itself another memorable experience. Perhaps some other occasion I will pen another article on my experience at the Abudabi airport.

Fr Kevin received me at the Dublin airport. On our way from the airport he gave a brief description of the Irish province and Dublin city. The street was almost empty- no traffic jam. The beautiful houses reminded me of the old English films I watched. When our car stopped near my residence - my heart stopped beating for a moment. How would my life going to be here! How would be my community! Would I be able to cope up with them! When Fr Kevin pressed the calling bell, a middle aged man opened the door. Fr Kevin introduced me. He welcomed me and took me to my room. Soon Kevin left me and went to his community. During the day, I met my community members. In the evening we had community mass and dinner. It did not take much time get used to the new 'family'. Sooner I became part of Leinster Road community. My little community in Leinster Road became my dear home, a home away home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...