Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lent Reflections (4)

Lent: a time to come out of our little world

Recently I had a chat with the manager of a charitable trust. While talking on fundraising, she said, “We do a lot of fundraising during Lent.” When I asked her what was the reason behind, she said “many people generously donate during Lent. They consider it as a part of their penance and a good practice to be united with the suffering people.” I found it is a noble way to observe Lent.


Often we are caught in our little world. We tend to be busy all the time with our little world. We engross all our attentions only for our well being and to make bright future. Lent is an appropriate time to come out of our little world and jump into the sea of humanity. Now you might wonder what do I mean by little world? The little world could be the world of my own, where I concentrate only my well being. The words like I, my and me are only found in my little world.

Jesus repeatedly emphasized for the community building. One of the examples could be ‘The Lord’s Prayer’, which begin addressing God as ‘Our Father in Heaven’. He could have easily addressed God as ‘My Father’. Rather he preferred to address ‘Our Father’ in order to share with all his followers the relationship He enjoyed with his Father.

We claim ourselves as the followers of Jesus. But are you really following Jesus in our lives? Do we live out our lives according to his words? Lent is a time when we can come out of our little world and begin to live a life for others. Are we ready to response?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...