Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lent Reflection (3)

Lent: a time to return to God


Christians in general tend to perform or observe some pious practices during Lent, and these include going for Mass, Stations of the Cross, Confession and praying Rosary. I have no idea of any historical reasons or rationality behind all these pious practices. But all I understand is, that these practices directly or indirectly show our desire to return to God.


Recently a holy nun wrote to me that we are all busy people in a busy world. In a way, she was complaining that I did not communicate with her for quite sometimes. I like the phrase, ‘we are busy people in a busy world.' Sometimes we are preoccupied with many things that we forget to do our simple tasks of life. We could easily stay far away from God. Even we might wonder, do we really need God in our life!

Staying in Europe for the last few months provided me with an ample opportunity to see where do people place God in their lives in this part of the world. During a visit to Rome, I saw many people visiting Churches as a tourist spot. I am not against the view of people visiting Churches. But what disturbed me when I saw very poor attendance for the Mass or even there was no one to read the first reading. The priest had to read both readings.

Lent comes with an invitation that we leave behind all our tasks and return to God. God our loving Father always waits for us. He is ever ready to welcome us. In him we find the everlasting peace and joy. Are not ready to return to God during this Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...