Friday, March 19, 2010

Lent Reflections (5)

Lent: a time for renewal


For the last few days the clerical sexual abuse has been the central theme in most of the discussions/chat I had with other people. I have been listening to people speaking against the Church and defending the Church. It all began with the publication of Dublin Archdiocese’s clerical sexual abuse report last year. Since then, the media has been covering the issue intensely without any pause. Initially I had followed the news reports. Meanwhile I read a book titled, ‘the betrayal of trust’ by Chris Moore. All these readings helped me to see a ‘hidden reality of misuse of power and trust’ of which I was unaware till recently. The topic is so vast that I am afraid to speak of or make any comment.


Last night in an open discussion on ‘media and spirituality’ the clerical sexual abuse topic came up in our discussion. After all the hot arguments, we all agreed upon one thing ‘enough is enough.’ We all felt that Church hierarchy should play an important role at this juncture and there should be a renewal in the Church.

As we are coming closer to celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, we need to renewal our life. If Easter brings a hope for new life then Lent should be considered a season when we can renewal our life. Jesus Christ, who laid down his life, for our salvation still invites us to renew our life.

Taking into consideration the time and situation, this Lent could be an appropriate occasion to renew our life. It is an open invitation to critically examine our life. This will lead us to a complete renewal of life. Are ready to renew ourselves during this Lent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...