Friday, December 2, 2011

At Christmas...

Part 1: "Christmas is at my heart!"

When João said ‘Christmas is at my heart,’ I stopped for a while. It was in the middle of our light conversation when he said that. We were returning from our classes and we were just happened to be together. João, my companion and my first friend (I never told him that!) from Europe, whom I call ‘goof’.
 He has a very pleasant way of dealing with others. He is very mature in his dealing with others, very reflective and wise in his words and at the same time very friendly. When I met him for the first time I discovered his sense of humor. In the middle of the completely new milieu, where people, culture, language…practically everything were new to me, I was looking for someone with whom I could share my thoughts. I began to talk and ‘pulling the leg’ of João. Sooner I found that he did not like my jokes or even sometimes he did not get the meaning. But he would never get angry with me. I must admit that my jokes, behaviors and fun were very Indian/Bangladeshi. Moreover cultural differences between us were very much seen and visible. I tried to change myself in certain extent…but difficult! After all, how could I change my ‘behavior patter’ of thirty years in overnight! But amidst our jokes and fun I share with him what I do not share with others (and often without letting him know!). We do not meet or talk very often. But whenever we do so we end up with something funny and most of the time I take the lead. Perhaps in near future I will pen some of these experiences. It was middle of this type of light conversation that João uttered this sentence. Though we said goodbye to each other when we entered our community but his words remained with me for sometimes.

As I entered in my room, I felt a sense of nostalgia. How wonderful were those days when I was growing! A life full of fun...no worries…no tensions! I would always finish my school final exams in the first week of December. It was the only time of the year I was left without books. There was nothing much to do. In the morning I would help my mother and then in the afternoon long hours of game. Then late in the evening I would go for Christmas carol practice. We used to have lots of fun during those evenings! Among friends we would also discuss about our Christmas dress. Then December 24, 25, 26 …until the reopening of the school days were filled with fun and joy. But those days are gone….

Another Christmas is knocking at my door. I may not have all the external celebration which I used to have. I have not planned anything special for this year. Perhaps I might spend sometimes on studies. But am I sad? No! Not all! The words of João have helped to enter into this Holy Season of Advent! It is time to prepare my heart, to decorate my heart…and then only I will be able to tell like João that Christmas is at my heart…

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...