Friday, November 25, 2011

Why do I pray?


Years back once I was asked to address a group of young people on the importance of prayer. Before the talk I was told that these young people whom I was about to talk were living a life far from the Church teachings. The organizer had asked me to use a secular language to say something about prayer. Thus I had to be very careful about the use of language. I began with a story-a story very real and touching. They seemed to have liked it. Then I asked them if they could live without prayer. All of them answered 'yes.' They said that they did not go to the Church, they did not recite the Rosary but they were living a happy life. At this point, I asked them what they would do just before exams, or if their dear ones would have met with an accident. They said that they would remember God. Then I said that was a prayer. Prayer does not mean going to the Church or reciting the Rosary. Prayer is a union with God. Immediately I could sense a 'change.' I carried on with my topic. At the end, I was surprised to notice that all of them agreed that they did pray!

In my personal life I do pray every day. This is one of the great gifts I received from my parents. I do well remember my mother would never give us food if we did not recite the Rosary every day. Just before going to bed when she would come to make our bed, she would always ask to say a short prayer. Again in the morning when she would come to awake us she would ask us to say a prayer. Thus this pious practice had become part of my life.

As I was growing I kept on saying my prayer daily. When I joined the Jesuits I learned the different methods of prayer. I may not do the same prayer which I would do as a child. Life has changed, so did my way of praying! Our Novice director would always tell us to find ‘our liking of prayer.’ He would demonstrate the various methods of prayer and finally would ask us to choose one of them.

But then why do I pray day after day? I really do not have any answer. All I know is:

Prayer gives me life

Prayer offers me hope

Prayer shows me the way

Prayer gives me strength

And prayer brings Jesus to me

(to be completed)



No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...