Friday, October 21, 2011

Part 1

Why do I want to become a priest?

This question has been haunting me for quite sometimes. Many times I had to face this question. I did try to give answer but somehow I was not satisfied with my answer. I was looking something deep, something profound and moreover something convincing. Almost a decade ago, when I joined the Jesuits I had different views of priesthood. I was fortunate to have met some good and holy priests in my childhood. They were well respected. I did have the similar experience in Indian too.

All went well until I arrived in Dublin, Ireland. I had arrived Dublin in a time when ‘clerical sexual abuses’ were talk of the town. The media was giving intensive coverage of the issue. I did read the long report on the clerical sexual abuses. I do well remember that while reading this report my tears were just flowing. I felt sad, I was sorry, I was angry! Many of the young people with whom I was working asked me, why do I still want become a priest.

Once one of my friends told me that upon hearing his intention to become a priest, an elderly man told him that he would regret being a priest in future. Last year we had gone to a bar with one of our professors (he was a priest). As some of us were with clerical habits, a middle aged man approached our professor and asked him, if our group was a group of gay priests. It was a sudden tsunami. I could not look at the face of my professor. Fortunately most of us in the group could not follow English.

All these little incidents and encounters made me to think ‘why do I want to priest?’ In my prayer and reflection I would often ponder over this.

Last summer, after spending two years in Europe I had gone to Bangladesh. Upon arrival in my city Dhaka, I could see the difference between East and West. I had the opportunity to meet different people. I had listened to their stories. I could see how the people rely on priests. One day while I was talking to an elderly woman, she told me, “We need priest because they bring God to us. Love people and you will be always loved.” I was stunned to hear this. So profound, so deep and so convincing.

After returning from Bangladesh I spent one month reflecting on my vacation to the priesthood. There were many thoughts came in my mind. We studied, discussed and shared our thoughts. But the simple words of that lady, “we need priest because they bring God to us” gave me a boast. I made these words my own words. I began to see a new outlook. Things began to change…(yet to be completed!)





No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...