Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pilgrimage to Spain

Sojourning in my Founder’s land


Ever since I joined the Jesuit Order, I have been repeatedly hearing about Loyola, Manresa, Xavier and Montserrat. These few places got imprinted in my heart as ‘Holy Land’. Deep within my heart a desire kept on growing to visit these Holy places. Fr Donal Neary, a Jesuit (Parish Priest of Gardiner Street Parish) casually asked me if I was willingly to partake in a pilgrimage to Ignatian sites. I grabbed the opportunity without giving a second thought!


Unlike my other overseas trips, this time I hardly got any time to prepare myself. During Holy Week (April 1-4’2010) I had to be with a group of young adults for Easter Pilgrimage. This included prayer, reflection, sharing, walking and mountain hiking. I was in a ‘worn-out stage’ when I returned to my community. The usual excitement was engulfed by my exhaustion. I retired to bed quite early and when I woke up I found that I had only two hours left to be at the airport. I grabbed a few cloths from my shelf and dumped them in my case and headed for the airport without more ado.

April 5: from Dublin to Madrid

Terry, my community member gave me a lift to the airport. On our way to the airport, he gave me a detailed description of Ignatian sites, the places he visited number of times. After the immigration and custom formalities, I had a quick lunch with Phil and Michael, the couple who gave me good company all along my trip. Sooner the others joined us. We were 28 altogether including 5 Jesuits, a diocesan priest and 3 nuns. It was almost three hours journey from Dublin to Madrid. On reaching Madrid we were divided in two groups as we were to take two separate flights to go to Barcelona. I had to wait one hour to get connecting flight. This provided me with an ample opportunity to meet my fellow pilgrims over a cup of coffee. The flight from Madrid to Barcelona took us less than an hour. From Barcelona we took bus to Loyola. It took roughly an hour. On reaching Loyola we had light refreshment and retired to bed.

April 6: I’m in Loyola

The Loyola Castle
After the breakfast we all assembled in a conference room. Fr Donal Neary sj, guided us into a short reflection. He pointed out clearly the importance of pilgrimage in one’s life with special reference to St Ignatius. Fr Fergus, a renowned historian gave us a short life-sketch of St. Ignatius and a brief history of Loyola Castel. Then we processed towards St Ignatius Cathedral and Loyola castle, a stone throw distance from the place, where we were staying. As we stepped in every single room of Loyola castle, Fr Fergus enlighten us with relevant information of every single room. In the afternoon, we went to visit the house of Blessed Francisco Gárate. Then we went to see the Church, where St Ignatius was baptized and used to attend Mass. Afterwards we visited the little house where Ignatius stayed on his last visit to Spain and adjoining Chapel. In the evening we had mass in the conversion chapel of Ignatius (inside the Loyola Castel). This is the room, where during convalesce, St Ignatius stayed and decided to serve Christ.
The house of Bl Garate
St Ignatius was baptized here
Wounded statue of St Ignatius

April 7: Xavier Castle

Xavier Castle
Our journey from Loyola to Xavier was quite long. It was drizzling. From the bus I could see the beautiful country side of Spain, mountains after mountains. The beauty of Spain kept me in complete amusement. Around 12pm we reached in Xavier Castle. After a quick visit to the castle, we had mass in the castle’s chapel followed by lunch. Then we headed towards Manresa. We reached Manresa around 9.30pm. We were accommodated in a hotel, in the middle of the small town Manresa. We had our dinner and went to bed.

April 8: In Manresa

It took us roughly ten minutes from our hotel to Manresa Cave, a place very dear to every Jesuits. This is the very place where Ignatius drafted the spiritual exercises. We had mass in the cave. I returned home by walking along the river Cardoner. In the afternoon we went to visit the surrounding places where Ignatius visited during his stay in Manresa.
 
River Cardoner
Inside the cave(Manresa)

April 9: in Montserrat

It took us roughly one hour by bus From Manresa to Montserrat. The Benedictine monastery is situated on the top of the mountain. Our bus took us quite close to the Benedictine monastery. This is the place, where after the long night prayer vigil; St Ignatius surrendered his sword to the Black Madonna. The statue of Black Madonna is still there. We had sung mass in the chapel with the Benedictine monks. After the mass I took special wire train to reach almost top of the mountain. It was absolutely beautiful place. I cannot explain my true happiness when I was top of the mountain. An absolutely amazing view.

April 10: Back home Dublin

Everything has an end…so does our trip! On April 10 I returned home in Dublin. But the six days in Spain imprinted in my heart. I term this pilgrimage as a ‘reaffirmation of my vocation.’ I walked the same path of St Iganatius. As Fr Donal Neary rightly put that a true pilgrim does go through place but place goes through a pilgrim. In many ways, I had the similar experiences. These experiences cannot be framed in mere words. They are long lasting tressure in life. They teach us, they direct us, they guide us……








Black Madonna

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...