Thursday, May 20, 2010

Do they love the country?

Years back, probably 10 -12 years back I was doing college studies in Dhaka, capital city of Bangladesh. Those were really crazy days, full of fun! My days would begin by reading daily newspapers. Among many things, I used to look forward to reading any news of hartal, strike. This would bring a lot of joy for many of us in the hostel. We would always love to see hartal being called on our quiz days.



Those were days…crazy days. Many things happened over the last ten years. I had to leave my county. I stayed in different parts of India for many years and then Europe. Just finishing one year in Ireland and soon would be moving to Rome, Italy. Meanwhile I had the opportunity to visit many other countries. I do understand that over population, natural disaster, poverty and unemployment have been a block in the development. But can’t my country come out of these problems and walk in the path of progress. Many told me that Ireland (my present resident) was a very poor county till recently. Today it is one of the well developed countries in the world. Many people think that good governance and political leadership are two main reasons behind this success.

When I look at my country’ governance and political leadership I get a very frustrating picture. There is no sign of improvement in theses two areas. I have no words to explain the attitude of our political leaders. Even in India at the time of national crises I would see the political leaders, belonging to different parties sat together and worked for the betterment of the country. In the case of my country, I have to see history book to find out any such meeting!

Hartal, is quite common in my country. The leaders of opposition party call for hartal in order to force government to resign. But the ruling party opposes hartal and remain in the power till it finishes the term. But ironically when the ruling party loses in the election and become opposition party it begins to call for hartal. This has been going on for quite sometimes. Hartal does not bring any result rather brings suffering for the poor people.

The suffering which our political leaders will never understand. They are far better off. They have food to eat, money in the bank, children are studying in abroad and what not! Only the poor and ordinary, who struggle to live, will continue to struggle.

Another hartal has been called in my country. The leader of the opposition party says it is just beginning …many more will come! I will enter in the debate on the role of ruling and opposition parties. All I wish if they had little love for the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...