Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Year of Priests

This year being 'Year of Priests' I have decided to write a few articles on Priestly/Religious life. These will not be any scholarly writings, but simply my own personal reflections. Like what is my understanding of Priestly/Religious life? And who are the Priests who have influenced me. There will be a few topics which I plan to cover. Here is the first article.

A few days ago, after a hot discussion on Dublin Archdiocese clerical sexual abuse a girl asked me why I still want to become a priest. I have been answering this question since day I opted to join the Jesuits. But this was the first time I had to think to answer. I paused for a while and then I said, I want to bring Christ to people. The girl looked at me and said, “This is what we laity expect from a priest. We do not want anything from them except Jesus. But many Priests fail to fulfil our expectations. They try to do all kinds of works expect the work of Jesus and ultimately end up in a miserable situation.” I thanked her for the sharing and then we departed.

Recently I attended a very insightful workshop on celibacy. I must admit that there was nothing new which the instructor told us. He rather stirred us all with his beautiful presentation. As I listened to him, I remember a saying of my current Superior Jim. He always says that to be a good religious or priest we need to have three things: Prayer, Work and Community life. I found the inputs of the instructor were all centred around these three points. What is my understanding of these three points?

1. Prayer: I would consider prayer or spiritual life as the central point for a religious or priest. This is something which binds him/her together with Jesus Christ. After all religious life should be a life of Christ. Put simply, a consecrated person is called to bring Jesus Christ in this world. I have seen many religious people doing excellent work but unhappy with their lives. And ultimately they decide to quit religious life.

2. Work/ministry: Work or ministry gives meaning to religious vocation. A consecrated person brings his/her entire self  to their work. Work gives identity as a person. When we are happy with our work we are happy as religious. Work brings us close to people,

3. Community life: Community is a place, where we grow as people. Sharing our life with our friends give us tremendous joy. I would compare community life with getting fuel at the filling station. In order to keep going our cars need fuel. Similarly in order to to keep going in life we need to recharge ourselves through community. Community life can be excellent support for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...