Thursday, April 1, 2021

My “last” formal formation as a Jesuit!

No. 2: At the airport!

You were a God sent person to me! Thank you...

Today is the Maundy Thursday, a very special day for every Christian. I was obviously sad that I would miss all the liturgical ceremonies of this sacred time. I received many greetings of happy feast (it is also observed as priest day). While browsing through all the messages, I saw a message from Sajol. It reads, “Brother, you were a God sent person to me. Thank you ...”

I met Sajol at the airport, while travelling to Srilanka. While waiting to get boarding pass, a boy in his early twenties showed his passport and asked me, “Dada (brother) is my paper okay?” I had a quick look at the passport and told him, “everything is fine. You are going to have good time in abroad.” He gave a very innocent look. It was quite obvious that he was travelling for the first time. He informed me that he was going to Saudi Arabia along with nine more young men. Finally, I told him, “don’t worry Sajol. Come back to me if you need any help.” He gave a surprised look and asked me, “how do you know my name?” I smiled and said, “it is very simple. I saw your name in the passport.”

I got the boarding pass and was waiting for the check-in. Again Sajol came to me and asked for some information. I felt pity for him and took little interest to know about him. He spent a huge amount of money to get the visa to a broker. He was badly need of a job to sustain his family. I encouraged him and positively spoke of the possible bright future of his life. He also asked some questions about me and asked me to help him at the transit airport.

Our transit airport was in Doha. After coming out of the aeroplane, I gave him some instruction and I went to a less crowded place for a little rest. While I was trying to catch up with my friends over the phone, Sajol came to me and asked, if he could get lunch with his boarding pass. It seems the travel agent mentioned that he would get lunch as he had transit of more than twelve hours. I took him to a ‘help desk’ and spoke to the concern person on behalf of him. The kind lady of the ‘help desk’ informed me that he can take lunch at the specific restaurant. He was so happy when I told him about the lunch. I took him to the specific restaurant and helped him to order for food. He insisted that I should share meal with him. I politely declined and left him. Before I left, Sajol asked for my Facebook account name.

People like Sajol give meaning to my priestly life.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...