Friday, November 9, 2012

Faith: if I dare to say! (Part - 3)



(Time and again, I was asked to share about my faith experiences. Frankly speaking, it is not easy for me to share about faith experiences. I often hesitate to share, thinking my experiences might sound silly and stupid to others. But there are certain experiences, persons and moments that gave me ‘DEEP’ experiences along the way. While thinking about ‘the year of Faith’, I tried to articulate these experiences here. Perhaps these are too stupid, too silly, too childish…but they are priceless to me! They keep me going…)

Words: Suddenly vomited but…!

I speak- (they say!) my words are kind, stupid, unnecessary, sweet, painful…! Many a times, I have hurt others by my words! I have had to digest comments like- your words are strange, your words have pierced my heart, your words have destroyed my peace…! I have also heard comments like- your words are so consoling, I cried after reading your mail as it touched my heart; you speak from your heart…!

Once, ‘sudden words of my lips’ have had different effect. Let me pen here those words! I was then in Calcutta, my beloved city. For my Sunday pastoral work, I used to go to a village called, Devipur. I was assigned to conduct the prayer-service, helping out students in their studies and visiting families. I would really love to visit families. This would enable me to know the people’s joys and sorrows.

Once, on such family visit, I had found an elderly sick man. The family members could afford to take him to a doctor. After narrating to me the nature of disease, the wife of that man asked me if I could help anyway. I was helpless! I did not have any mean to help! It suddenly clicked me that Mother Teresa’s Sisters distribute free medicine on Thursdays. I was also aware that it was not always easy to reach out to the Sisters, as there were many patients and the Sister’s convent was rather far.

Without much thinking, I asked them if they could go to Sister’s convent and tell them that ‘they were sent by a Jesuit Brother.’ I purposely used the phrase ‘Jesuit Brother’ as in our side of the world, there are still respect for priests, brothers and nuns. I also knew that Sisters had special respect for the Jesuits! Then I cycled back to my community.

The following Sunday when I went to the same village, the wife approached to me with a smiling face. She told me that as per my instructions she took her husband to the Sisters. The Sisters were very kind and gave him medicine. He was gradually recovering.

I remember that day I cycled back to my community with a certain joy. It was a joy of astonishment. I never knew that my simple words would have such an effect. Reflecting over this incident I ask myself, “Was I an instrument sent by someone?”



1 comment:

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...