Friday, April 15, 2011

As I turn 30…thinking of all the surprises!

As I turn 30…thinking of all the surprises!
Have I ever given a thought of how to celebrate my 30th birthday? My 20th birthday was grand so as 25th. I must admit that I am not very fussy about celebrating birthday with lot of external celebrations. I have tried to avoid celebrating my birthday, but often I have failed. Often in the past, some of my close friends made sure that I ‘celebrate’ it.

I would imagine my last 30 years as a journey. The journey, which is marked as well as filled with ‘surprises of God.’ I often wonder upon those surprises. I am a sort of man, who does not have much big dream about the future. I rather prefer to dwell in the present. I do not think much about my future. I accept things as they come to me. Probably that’s why I get many surprises. The joining with the Jesuits was a surprise! I often wonder what motivated me to join the Jesuits. I was schooled by the Holy Cross Fathers/Brothers, my parish is staffed by the Diocesan clergy and the Oblates, the PIME, the SFX are well known in my country. Then how did I join the Jesuits! The reason is still partially mysterious to me. That’s why I call it a surprise!
During my long formation years (still continuing) I have received many surprises. There were many talented, creative and of course ‘holy’ companions with me. Many of them already said goodbye to the Jesuits. I still keep on going. Many surprises came to me through my superiors. The responsibilities I was given, the trust I enjoyed, the love and support I have received, the friends I have had and have…all these are big surprises for me. I was not worthy, for many of the things I received. I had even fear to accept them. Surprising all these worked out with me perfectly well.
My parents are also God’s surprise to me. I am so lucky and privileged to have such loving parents. Our family would be one of the few families where all the children went to school. In spite of the financial problem my parents made sure that we receive best education. They also made sure of our faith formation. Isn’t a God’s surprise for me!
I often ponder over my ‘gone days.’ Born in a small village in Bangladesh, then moved to India to join the Jesuits, then Ireland for ‘work’ and now in Italy for studies. Have I ever thought that life would be such ‘surprise?’ Wherever I went I found my friends, I was accepted and became part of the family families. I have been experiencing such a loving care and support from the Jesuits – both within my province as well as outside my provinces. The friendship I enjoy – both with religious as well as laity is something I can be proud of.
I can go on reflecting many more surprises! That’s what I learnt from the Jesuit. That’s all about the Ignatian spirituality. Isn’t it ‘finding God in everything!’

No comments:

Post a Comment

My life stopped on September 23, 2022

  In 2022...When my life stopped! As I get ready to say good bye to 2022, there are many memories popping up in my mind. 2022 was a memora...